A Brief History of Hot Stone MassageMarch 25, 2019
What is a hot stone massage? A hot stone massage is an ancient and effective practice of relieving and relaxing tense sore muscles, and it is done today by placing heated smooth stones on various parts of the body during a massage session.
Relaxing sore muscles can be accomplished either by leaving heated stones on specific areas of the body, or used by hand during massage. If you are feeling stressed, and you have aching muscles, then next time you for to a spa, try a hot stone massage to relax, it is an amazing feeling.
Historical Background of Hot Stone Massage
The first place where hot stones were recorded used for treating the body, as a holistic way to improve health, is in India. The Hindus used this healing technique over 4,000 years ago, and they called it Ayurveda – part of a whole body healing based on a belief that balancing the mind, spirit, and body can result in health and wellness. While the technique was often used to treat specific health problems, the main goal of the treatment is to promote total health.
In ancient China, healers used special heated shaped stones to treat diseases and to improve digestion called Bian. The process included burning incense while placing the stones on a patient’s abdomen. And, the Japanese would wear heated stones on their stomach to help warm their abdomen to aid in digestion.
In the middle of the Pacific Ocean, the Kahunas (shamans), in Hawaii, they had the tradition of wrapping hot lava rocks in leafs, before applying it to the body to relieve muscle spasms and as a way to relax tense muscles.
In North America, even the Native Americans discovered the benefits of using heated stones in their sweat lodges, as a means of relaxing the whole body. Although hot stones were never traditionally applied to the body, the Native Americans were still aware of the benefits heat has on the body, in regard to treating tense muscles.
Much similar to the ancient use of heated rocks, hot stone treatments today are very effective at increasing blood circulation, and relieving tense and sore muscles. Although, hot stone massage treatments vary in the application of the heated rocks – placed on specific areas of the body or used with oil to allow for a smooth massage across the skin – the benefits of increased circulation and release of muscle stress is definitely beneficial for overall health.
For more information about hot stone massage treatment, please feel free to call us here at My Beauty First, we can answer any question or concerns you may have about our latest beauty treatments.
Optimized by NetwizardSEO.com.au
- Boost Your Confidence with Underarm IPL Hair Removal
- Relaxation Massage for Body and Mind Rejuvenation
- Spring Time Beauty Treatments that You Should Try
- IPL Photo Rejuvenation: What Is It? What Are the Benefits of It?
- What Are the Things That You Need to Do Before Undergoing a Hot Stone Massage?
- Top Ten Myths about Laser Hair Removal
- FAQ: Does a Pregnancy Massage Differ From Any Other Body Massage?
- Opening Your Third Eye: Can Third Eye Healing Therapy Help?
- Salt Scrub Body Treatment: What are the Benefits?
- Must-Do Things After an IPL Hair Removal Treatment
- Benefits of Removing Spider Veins Using IPL Treatments?
- A Brief History of Hot Stone Massage
- Therapeutic Benefits of Aged-Care Massage for the Elderly
- Can Pregnant Mums and Their Unborn Babies Benefit from Reiki Healing?
- Why Utmost Care Is Important After an Ultrasonic Fat Cavitation Procedure?
- Hot Stone Massage: Is it Safe for Sensitive Skin?
- Start Your New Year 2019 Right with the Best Beauty Treatment You Deserve
- Be Christmas Holiday Beautiful With My Beauty First's Various Personalised Services
- Third Eye Chakra Healing: What Is This All About?
- View all articles…
- Treat Yourself for a Holiday New Look with Our Hair Dressing Services
- Benefits of Body Candling
- View all articles…